Friday 17 October 2014

My best carrots to date.


These are the last of this years carrots. Just this bunch alone beats what I've managed to grow in the past. You may be bored of hearing this, but I have always struggled to grow carrots, as have many people I've spoken to. How I have managed to get what I have is very simple, slug pellets. In the past I had prepared the soil, sowed the seeds and it seemed to end there. Someone told me that slugs would have eaten everything before I got to see even one seedling. A sprinkling of slug pellets this year has helped a lot, but what I have failed to do is thin them out, so needless to say, many of them were tiny. I have also had a few carrots affected by carrot fly, so I still have plenty to sort out. I have been told by my gardening guru, Michelle Stacey, to grow them in an old bin, filled with a mix of compost and sand. So I'm going to give that a go next year.

There isn't much left on my plot now, a few rows of potatoes, one row of Savoy cabbages, a handful of leeks, the surprise swede and a heck of a lot of parsnips. It'll be interesting to see if the rest of the parsnips turn out to be monster's as well. They look promising on the surface, but then again, so did some of the carrots. The cabbages are starting to whiff a bit of, well, cabbage, but stronger than usual. Is that normal? Till next time and thanks for reading.








No comments:

Post a Comment