Sunday 3 November 2013

Still life.

At this time of year, even the best kept plots look way past their best. Mine is no exception, but that said, there is still a fair bit of activity going on.
The onion sets I planted a few weeks ago have started to show. The 'Hansel and Gretel' trail of pebbles I left over each bulb has showed me that they are not weeds and I know not to pull them up when I'm weeding. For now it's the Japanese onions that have popped up, the reds are a bit more shy I guess.

 Two and a half marrows
                         
To my surprise I have two and a half marrows that have seemed to come out of nowhere. I was going to tidy up the squash area only to find the marrows, a courgette not much bigger than my finger and two cricket ball sized pumpkins. It would have been nice if the pumpkins could have been ready for Halloween, but maybe we'll get to eat them instead. 

 Late harvest
                         
This lot of veg may look impressive, but unless you are from Lilliput or the Shire, then you've only got a meal for one here. I could see that the cabbage and the cauliflower where small, but the beetroot with all it's foliage and all I got was ping pong size beetroot. Not trying to sound too ungrateful but I would have liked them to have been a bit bigger. Beggars can't be choosers.
I did do a bit more digging. Not much to say that you haven't already heard, more roots came up and I got a bit further along. I'm hoping tomorrow's weather will be OK to carry on. Till next time and thanks for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment