Tuesday 24 September 2013

Just another day off.


                   
It's that time of year again. The boss came up to me last week and said you have a few days holiday to use up. Use 'em or loose 'em. So I'm hoping to put in quite a few hours at the allotment. Well it's a dirty job but some ones got to do it. Who am I kidding, I love it. The site I'm on is like a little village within a city. It's quite big and a very friendly place to be. I can walk from one end to the other and everyone I see will say hello or stop what they're doing for a chat.

Today I planted the rest of my strawberry runners. Where I'm planning to have more strawberry plants, I have two old rose bushes. I've been told it would be better to get rid of them. Not too fussed myself, if I can't eat it or if it's not benefiting the plot, then I don't want it.

I also dug up the rest of the potatoes. Half a bin full. Good job I had my sack barrow with me today to bring them back. I still hate it when I put my fork through a potatoe, especially when it's a good one. I did get some with bugs in. I'd like to know if there is a variety that isn't affected or if there is something I can put in the soil to stop them.

I did mix in a bin full of my own home compost in after I dug up the potatoes. I've done it in the past and it's not done any harm. And it was just as well I had the bin to put the spuds in. Till next time and thanks fot reading.


                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment